By Tyler Currie NQ3|\<Wt
Special to The Washington Post i~AJ.@
#
Sunday, July 27, 2008; Page P02 }-@I#9
o;'4c
She is pretty, the young woman sitting on a bench in People's Square, a popular park in the center of Shanghai. Our eyes meet and she waves. - coy@S=.'
lvig>0:M
I've been in Shanghai for five days. I am here for work, alone and maybe too eager to find a friend. M7pvxChA
:dbV2'vIQ
The woman speaks good English and we begin chatting. Suddenly a man, her friend, appears. 1(F'~i|5
1'OD3~[R
"You are from America?" he asks with enthusiasm. v7$9QVze
Pb=rFas*C
They both studied English in college and look to be in their mid-20s. The man says he's a newspaper reporter, and the woman wants to work in hotel management. I struggle with the pronunciation of her name -- Zhu Xiaobei -- so she scribbles it on a scrap of paper, along with a phone number. <lX:eR1
$:HLRl{2E
"We're going to a famous teahouse for a traditional Chinese tea ceremony," Xiaobei says. "Come with us." 0kz7 >v
<wqRk<
It sounds interesting. Plus, the man and woman are intelligent and engaging, and they seem harmless. I don't think twice before wandering off with a pair of strangers. Q~CpP9%
H.;yLL=
Several blocks away, we enter the "famous" teahouse. I'm not sure what I'd been expecting, but this isn't it. It's just a store in a garish shopping center. A pudgy hostess leads us to a dimly lit private room without windows. There's a short table at the center with stacks of cups and jars of tea. I do not see any other patrons. Bzm.X=U:
R mgxf/
Xiaobei sits to my left, pulling her chair close, and the ceremony begins. We sample six different teas and eat multi-flavored pumpkin seeds. The journalist translates our hostess's description of each tea. n=SzF(S[M
cl#OvQ
The ceremony is enjoyable until the bill arrives. The man takes the first peek. "Oh, very expensive," he groans. I grab the tab. It's the equivalent of about $200, more than the monthly wage of an average Chinese worker. a:xgjUt&5
8|_K
But I don't protest, loath to become the ugly American. I also have an impulse to impress Xiaobei. I pay the hostess. <W9) Bq4
JbVi1?c
We leave the tea shop, and Xiaobei says she's tired and wants to go home. "You promise to call me?" she asks. 6 cr^<]v !
(HaU,vP
Later that night in my hotel room, I get the feeling that something sinister has happened. Were my friends in cahoots with the teahouse? VG#$fRrZ
\Em-.%c
The next day I phone Xiaobei. She answers but cuts short the conversation, saying she'll call back soon. But she never does. I call again. This time she doesn't pick up. 1o)=GV1
V'$oTZ`
Angry, I Google the phrase "tea scam." The hit list is long and depressing. Numerous sites closely describe the events of my day: pretty girl, private room, inflated tab. Chinese police, I learn, have busted many scammers. But the popular swindle persists (mostly in Beijing and Shanghai), partly, it seems, because lots of tourists are too embarrassed to report that they've been fooled. I know the feeling. z+2u-jG
vD
"_X"v
A few days later, I'm back in People's Square, relaxing, when a young woman says hello. Her clothes are dirty. Her face is pale and downcast. I know where this is leading. kOzt"t&