登录注册
社区应用 最新帖子 精华区 社区服务 会员列表 统计排行
主题 : Is it time to leave California
scubadiver 离线
级别: 营长

显示用户信息 
楼主  发表于: 2003-09-19   

Is it time to leave California

Lately the thought of leaving California (yes, even Bay area) has come to my mind frequently. No action is taken yet, because my wife is still committed to Bay area for another year or two at least. But why leave Bay area?

--- no more excitement, at least for IT sector. not more bright spots, no big new things on the horizon. instant millinares are distant memories, baring some rare exceptions... and yet you still have to work hard, arguable harder because you are the one left to hold the trenches while others are laid off...

---- high tax and fat government (and high labor costs). As a small business owner, I would move my business to Nevada or Oregon in a heartbeat, if decision is purely driven by economics. even as a consumer, I would rather move to neighboring states. just look at the gas price, ever increasing sales tax, even sales tax by cities are on the drawing board! then there is huge property tax (by percentage California is the that high, but with the inflated property value, it is a in reality higher than most of other places). next year we will have tripled vehicle registration fees! owning an expensive vehicles? maybe it's time to donate them...smile.gif

---- poor school. despite the recent improvement (which could be short lived), California is one of worst in terms of public schools, and my friend, it's not going to get better with the fundamentally shifting demographics. I would hate to send my kids to public schools in Fremont or Cupertino, where the student body is predominantly Asian. I don't think it will provide a balanced view of reality for my kids. So if we continue to stay in California, private school is the only way to go. It's probably not bad, but I would prefer public schools, where the student body is a closer representation of the society.

--- now the tricky part: ever increasing illegal imigrants population, the phenomena of Mexifornia. it is going to make things worse, as time goes by. the problem is going to explode before it gets solved, if ever it's going to be solved. the hispanic population is such a powerful voting machine, my friend, politicians will bend backward forward to please them. as a result, government will get bigger, more people will be on welfare, and they will try to tax whoever is left to support that. it will continue to be a republic heaven for democrats.

--- property value: it will come down as more people leave California, because the ones that will take over California is not going to make as much as the ones who fled. this will not happen overnight, but will happen in due course.

So I hope there is a good case built for leaving California. But where to? where can we find a weather that's so perfect? Where Chinese supermarkets are abundant? where bad Chinese food restaurants can be found in every street corner? where you can find schoolmates within walking distance?

Is it Oregon? Is New Jersey? Is it Vancouver? or is it some land far away, where people speak a language that we grew up with?
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水
Troublemaker 离线
级别: 论坛版主

显示用户信息 
沙发  发表于: 2003-09-19   
QUOTE (scubadiver @ Sep 19 2003, 12:10 AM)

where can we find a weather that's so perfect? Where Chinese supermarkets are abundant? where ??? Chinese food restaurants can be found in every street corner? where you can find schoolmates within walking distance?

where people speak a language that we grew up with?

Totally agree!
But...right!
You tell me where we should go with all these stuff?
Where?
scubadiver 离线

显示用户信息 
板凳  发表于: 2003-09-19   
I just want to kickoff the topic, hopefully people will contribute ideas about where to go!

here are some criteria I use:

on the coast
warm
beautiful
current residents are nice and embrace the notion of diversity
good place to raise family
access to Chinese/Asian food
Troublemaker 离线

显示用户信息 
地板  发表于: 2003-09-19   
California!
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
地下室  发表于: 2003-09-19   
scubadiver:
如果你不能在弯曲快乐地生活, 你在哪也不会快乐。

阿拉 离线
级别: 班副
显示用户信息 
5楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
We are in the same boat! so sad.
somtn 离线
级别: 班长
显示用户信息 
6楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
Most of what you wrote is true about California. IMHO, housing and high tax on everything are huge negative factors.

I have a friend in CA making about $200K a year (double income family). They are still unable to find a decent house in a reasonable location with good a school, and have been renting for the last few years.

If you want to live in a large and beautiful home, it's time to seriously think about moving. Most middle class districts outside of CA are very nice.
somtn 离线
显示用户信息 
7楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
biggrin.gif
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
8楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
I enjoy living in Bay Area.
If you have a job here, no reason to leave.
You can not find a better place.

弯曲是贵 竞争激烈, 但正如你所说, 好多东西别的地方也没有。
fremont cupertino 中国人/亚洲人多,可是中国店也多 学区好 可都是亚洲学生。
pleasanton, 白人多 学区好 没有中国grocery

鱼和熊掌不能兼得, 你总不能什末都占着吧。
调整心态。。 而不是想调整这个世界。

想想别的洲, 龙卷风 台风 暴雨,大停电。 加州什末也没有, 顶多闹一闹rolling blackout, 州长罢免。

你走了, 还有人不断地来 向往这个阳光之州, 房价不会跌, 供求关系在那了, 你那岂人忧的什末天。
lotus 离线

显示用户信息 
9楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
生活教会我随遇而安。  

美国的小乡村、大都市我都呆过,  新到一处总有怨言, 时间长了就品出里面独到的滋味了, 每次分别都不忍离去。

幸福生活的秘诀: 享受现在拥有的。
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
10楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
有一句老话怎末说得来着?
吃着肉, 还骂着娘。

不要做这种小人呦。
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
11楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
你抱怨移民, 以及非法移民,
看看你的饭碗里, 蔬菜水果盘里, 如果没有那些 没身份的amigo 在中谷地区辛勤劳作, 你哪来得这末便宜的瓜果蔬菜。

去中餐馆, 前面的waiter/waitress 也许是中国人, 去厨房看看, 默默劳作得不都是憨厚的老墨。

人都有争取好生活的权利。 你是报共产党之赐, 学了一身本领 才来的美国, 你当然能有 高的好的起点。 可是好多人, 在出生国没有接受教育的权利, 他们就不能来 奋斗奋斗吗。
人都是平等的。摘下你的有色眼镜。
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
12楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
QUOTE (somtn @ Sep 19 2003, 12:19 PM)
I have a friend in CA making about $200K a year (double income family). They are still unable to find a decent house in a reasonable location with good a school, and have been renting for the last few years.

你这个朋友着实 不是我们一般人。我们远远没他争得多。
可是我们已经找到了a decent house in a reasonable location with good a school.

你把这末个别的案例摆在这, 让外洲的朋友看了, 我们在加州的, 还能活吗?

这个200K 是一个人挣的 还是两个人。(一开始看, 还以为挣200x2呢)。。 无论从哪个角度来说 他们都应该国很好的生活呀 。肯定等着大地震, 或经济大萧条 等着房价一落千丈呢。

转告他们一声 “别做梦了, 该干什末 快干什末吧。“
somtn 离线
显示用户信息 
13楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
double income family

好, 我转告: “别做梦了, 该干什末 快干什末吧。“

或许他们要求太高了.

卡拉 离线
级别: 总版主

显示用户信息 
14楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
QUOTE (lili @ Sep 19 2003, 11:37 AM)
有一句老话怎末说得来着?
吃着肉, 还骂着娘。

不要做这种小人呦。

那句老话叫作:端起碗来吃肉,放下筷子骂娘。
scubadiver 离线

显示用户信息 
15楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
有一句老话怎末说得来着?
吃着肉, 还骂着娘。

不要做这种小人呦。

wow! to be honest, I neven thought about it that way. I paid pretty high tax year in and year out, never really got the fair share back as return. so I don't I qualify as 这种小人呦。

I also don't think I wear colored glasses about race and social statue, being born and rasied in a remote farmland and endured the biggest social injustice growing up. the issue is about uncontroled illegal immigrants and the inaction of the the government. it is creating a huge social problem that the hypocratic democrats are just not willing or do not have the guts to face. this is land of promise, so everyone is entitled to his/her dream, so long as he/she is willing to put up the sweats.

lastly, I was hoping to generate some ideas from a healthy discussion. free lessons or patronizing is not necessary. degrading hats and sticks are not welcome.
somtn 离线
显示用户信息 
16楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
Compare CA town-house with the real house for about the same price.

You don't know what you have missed until you start digging ...

http://www.tollbrothers.com/
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
17楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
剪下
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
18楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
QUOTE (somtn @ Sep 19 2003, 02:34 PM)
Compare CA town-house with the real house for about the same price.

You don't know what you have missed until you start digging ...

http://www.tollbrothers.com/

在加州 我的房子的首付 就可以在外州买一个大别野了
知道知道。

我们认命!

好多东西事钱买不来的。所以 还有这末多人执著地呆在加州。
lili 离线

显示用户信息 
19楼  发表于: 2003-09-19   
QUOTE (scubadiver @ Sep 19 2003, 02:07 PM)
lastly, I was hoping to generate some ideas from a healthy discussion. free lessons or patronizing is not necessary. degrading hats and sticks are not welcome.

healthy discussion 就是夸你 说你的想法对! 无可厚非?
加州的确不是人呆的地方 一定要沙出去?

嘁!
描述
快速回复

验证问题:
3 * 6 = ? 正确答案:18
按"Ctrl+Enter"直接提交